Wildlife Protection Systems Canada Inc. (WPS) is a small company with a Big Heart.
Our team has brought together systems designed to greatly reduce vehicle to wildlife impacts on BC highways. The system uses digital recording of specific species in distress and broadcasts those recordings over weather resistant, high fidelity speakers. A microprocessor controls directing the timing of the broadcasts. The sophistication of the technology convinces wildlife in the vicinity of the area of pending danger. Their natural instincts cause them to avoid the area.
It is common knowledge that elk, deer, moose and Bighorn sheep collisions happen multiple times daily on BC Highways.
In British Columbia, as road traffic increases, the number of wildlife vehicle collisions is increasing causing serious implications for the conservation and management of all BC’s wildlife. The actual total of wild animals killed in the ten year period from study could be as high as 200,508 or more, which is a staggering number.
This difference between reported deaths and actual deaths can be attributed to animals dying outside the highway right-of-way, animal remains being removed by natural scavengers or predators, animal remains being obscured by snow, vegetation etc., animal remains becoming unrecognizable after being run over by successive vehicles, and larger animals (primarily deer or moose) being removed by passing motorists.
Approximately 80% of wildlife vehicle collisions involve deer, moose, elk, bears, and coyotes. Rocky Mountain Big Horn sheep and other wildlife make up the remaining 20% of collisions.
Every hour in Canada, on average there are 4 to 8 large animal vehicle impacts resulting in property damage and often loss of life.
Quick Statistics report from the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia shows that:
- There are about 10,000 animal-related collisions every year
- 570 people were injured by collisions with wildlife
- 3 people were killed by collisions with wildlife
Collision Cleanup Costs:
The province of British Columbia incurs the costs of highway clean-up and animal disposal on most numbered highways.
Environmental issues, urban sprawl, forest fires, industrial growth and expansion is having a profound impact on our wildlife. Wildlife Protection Systems Canada Inc., is dedicated and committed within our greatest capacity to be a part of the solution.
Let’s work together and give wildlife a chance.
Cover photo by: JP Valery on UnSplash